Industry’s leading curriculum now further elevated to support new agents
The Travel Institute has launched its TRIPKIT℠ 5th Edition introductory training course with all-new expert insights, an enhanced study plan, the online migration of its supplementary home-based agency “how to” module, and additional updates throughout.
“The Travel Institute has done it again! I couldn’t be prouder of how we have elevated our already industry-leading course to provide newcomers an even greater advantage as they start their travel career,” enthused Guida Botelho, CTIE, senior director of education for The Travel Institute.
As the industry’s education leader and only dedicated education provider, The Travel Institute’s mission is to develop travel professionals to benefit travelers and to better the industry. Packing the equivalent of one college semester into a 19-lesson, self-paced timeline, TRIPKIT is a cost-effective, 60- to 80-hour online program including three key areas of study: travel career development, destination knowledge and a “how to” on establishing and running a home-based agency. A “start to finish” learning experience for new and inexperienced travel agents alike, TRIPKIT 5th Edition includes:
- ALL NEW Insider Insight videos with “been there, done that” industry experts sharing their wisdom and practical advice along with “around the world” clips to help students further explore destinations from an agent’s point of view to “hit the ground running,” strengthening the connection between the academic experience and career expectations.
- An enhanced study plan incorporating feedback from college professors around three key pillars of knowledge—agent capabilities, destination geography, and business acumen—systematically ensuring each lesson methodically builds on the last.
- A newly revised edition of the “How to Start a Home-based Travel Agency” textbook authored by industry veterans Tom Ogg; Joanie Ogg, CTC, MCC; and Andy Ogg, CTIE; and now migrated online into The Travel Institute’s interactive, best-practice learning management system.
- With additional, substantial updates throughout the course, TRIPKIT 5th Edition also includes the 5th edition of Exploring the World and the 11th edition of Travel Career Development.
“If you’re new to the industry and learning how to become an agent—even if you have access to other training, I highly recommend TRIPKIT,” offered Lori Speers, CEO and Founder, Levarté Travel, a host agency that subsidizes its home-based agents’ training through The Travel Institute. “TRIPKIT covers everything an agent needs to know, from planning itineraries to in-depth information on all segments of travel, while also teaching sales and business skills. Ultimately, TRIPKIT gives you a competitive advantage in trying to understand our very complex and ever-changing travel industry,” Speers continued.
With an emphasis on real-world experiences, TRIPKIT℠ creates a career path for potential travel advisors by providing a comprehensive overview of air, ground transportation, accommodations, cruises, tours and packages while also showcasing other nuances in travel planning such as technology, economics, geography, cultural events, and a host of other factors along with customer service, sales, marketing, and business skills. While there is no education standard for industry newcomers, graduates say TRIPKIT is time and money well spent:
- “I came into the program knowing next to nothing. The materials were thorough and TRIPKIT laid a great foundation for me. It gave me the confidence and motivation to continue forward in my career. I’m so happy I found The Travel Institute.” —Victoria Ayres
- “Completing the TRIPKIT gave me the courage to go off on my own. I felt prepared and knew what and how to start my travel agency.” —Monica Starks, CTA
- “Having an airline background and traveled extensively, I thought I knew a lot. I was wrong! The TRIPKIT Program by The Travel Institute was very thorough and I learned a lot.” —Jennifer Herrick
For Botelho, new agents are indeed worth the investment in quality education. “It is critical that new agents get the right training coming in,” Botelho said. “They should look under the hood at the programs available and do their research to know what they’re actually buying. They really need to understand—there are no shortcuts to quality education nor should there be. New agents are the future of our industry and their education is an investment in that future. If they’re in it for the long haul and they want to be successful, quality education is not a choice—it’s simply a must.”
TRIPKIT students wrap up the course with the Travel Agent Proficiency, or TAP®, exam, the industry’s recognized standard for evaluating mastery of industry basics and often the first step in travel professional recognition. Recent TAP graduates are recognized on The Travel Institute website, and those looking for employment or a host are identified with a “Hire Me” link. Those exploring a career in travel or seeking a new agent training solution for their team can visit the TRIPKIT and are also invited to join a complimentary New to the Industry webinar.
About The Travel Institute
A collaborative industry effort created in 1964, The Travel Institute has continuously evolved to maintain its role as the global leader in travel industry education and certification while staying true to its mission: dedicated solely to advancing the professionalism of both agents and industry leaders in support of individual and industry success. A non-profit, independent organization, The Travel Institute also works with leaders throughout the industry to create and deliver relevant, meaningful and rigorous coursework. Using exclusive proctored, closed-book testing to ensure its graduates earn credentials that demonstrate the highest standards of expertise and service, The Travel Institute has certified more than 27,000 Certified Travel Associate (CTA®), Certified Travel Counselor (CTC®), and Certified Travel Industry Executive (CTIE®) graduates and also administers the Travel Agent Proficiency, or TAP®, exam to confirm students new to the industry demonstrate a mastery of travel industry basics. A trusted partner to industry suppliers and educational institutions, The Travel Institute has trained hundreds of thousands more through additional courses, webinars, and in its online Premium Access content. Throughout North America, many successful agents and high-profile leaders credit their success to coursework from The Travel Institute. Learn more at The Travel Institute.