Created through a collaborative industry effort in 1964, The Travel Institute has continuously evolved to maintain its role as the global leader in travel industry education and certification while staying true to our mission: dedicated solely to advancing the professionalism of our students in support of individual and industry success.
A non-profit, independent organization, The Travel Institute collaborates with industry leaders to create and deliver relevant, meaningful and rigorous coursework and travel professional education. Using exclusive proctored, closed-book testing to maintain the integrity of the credentials and the standards they represent, The Travel Institute has certified more than 25,000 Certified Travel Associate (CTA®), Certified Travel Counselor (CTC®), and Certified Travel Industry Executive (CTIE®) graduates and requires continued education to maintain certifications. Certification program graduates utilize our digital credentials online search platform as a validation process and marketing tool to substantiate their expertise with clients and stakeholders. The Travel Institute also administers the Travel Agent Proficiency, or TAPSM, exam. The TAP exam is used widely by industry organizations to confirm students new to the industry demonstrate a mastery of travel industry basics.
A trusted partner to industry organizations and educational institutions, The Travel Institute has also provided continuing education to hundreds of thousands of agents through specialist and business management courses, webinars, and in its online learning Lounge for premium members. The industry benchmark for educational excellence, The Travel Institute is credited by many successful agents and high-profile leaders for their success.
Finding a Professional
Travel Agents are professionals who can navigate an increasingly complex industry and best support a traveler before, during and after a trip. Yet, not all agents are equal.
The travel industry is growing at a fast pace with significant numbers of new agents replacing and supplementing an aging agent population. Look for agents with certified credentials and ask for references to ensure you are working with a committed professional who has the work experience and expertise you want and need.
Travel agents today refer to themselves as travel associates, consultants, advisors, counselors, designers, curators, specialists and more. No matter the name, a true travel professional understands continued learning is key to long-term success. Our students and certified graduates represent this preparation and commitment.
Our certification courses are consistently updated to ensure education is current, practical and relevant. From the new-to-the-industry agent to the industry veteran, each student’s needs are addressed through targeted content and curriculum:
- Certified Travel Associate, CTA®: Tailored to the needs of a front-line sales agent, this course has 15 areas of study, including planning itineraries and customer-focused selling.
- Certified Travel Counselor, CTC®: Tailored to managers, directors, and owners, this course has 10 areas of study, including coaching/mentoring and more.
- Certified Travel Industry Executive, CTIE®: Tailored to executives, business development managers, and other leaders, this course has 10 areas of study, including emotional intelligence, strategic leadership and more.
Career Training Courses
- TRIPKIT℠ Travel Industry Introductory Program used by individuals, colleges and career schools across the U.S. and Canada
- Destination Specialist and Niche/Lifestyle Specialist programs
- Courses in Business and Entrepreneurship
Our interactive learning platform improves student engagement and retention while providing 24/7 access across multiple platforms.