You’ve probably seen plenty of travel industry articles talking about the importance of developing a niche specialty. “The riches are in the niches,” as they say.
It’s been nearly two years since I launched my own travel agency, IntroverTravels, where I design life-changing travel experiences for curious introverts; the trips I plan are to unique locations that emphasize nature, culture, and history.
As you can see, I’ve developed a slight obsession with the beauty of a highly-targeted niche. Today’s successful travel agencies are built on having a unique angle and targeting a very specific ideal client.
When honing in on your own specialty, here are 5 tips for developing a magnetic niche:
- Answer 3 of the 5 W’s. Be sure to answer a combination of (at least) 3 of the 5 Ws: WHO are your ideal clients; WHAT types of trips you plan; WHERE do you specialize; WHEN clients will likely travel (e.g. retirement, summer vacation, winter getaway); and WHY you are in this fun, crazy industry in the first place!
- Find the “Goldilocks Zone.” It is possible to get too specific in your niche. Find a sweet spot that is refined enough to magnetically attract a targeted audience, but not so narrow that you repel too many people.
- Identify your ideal client. Write out a detailed biography of your ideal client—the one who makes your heart sing and whose emails and phone calls you look forward to. Not sure where to start? Download my free Ideal Client Checklist.
- Be authentic. Being yourself is your greatest superpower! Write out a list of all the things that make you unique and special, and find a way to weave that into your narrative. Often the greatest businesses are borne from necessity when we had to overcome a personal challenge or obstacle. Be yourself and tell that story.
- Be fearless. It takes guts to focus on a niche and confidence to be consistent in that message. Don’t hesitate to specialize; by definition, you cannot have more than one niche—go big or go home!
By now, I hope I’ve convinced you of the importance of developing a magnetic niche and a super-specific ideal client avatar! I know once you’ve put in the time and effort in these exercises, other building blocks of your business will fall into place.
At 45 Degrees Marketing, I help other travel advisors get clear on their niche and how to identify and attract their ideal clients. I’d love to get to know you and help you gain clarity in your own business. Schedule a free 30-minute clarity call to brainstorm creative ideas and use your own hidden superpowers to your advantage!
Until then, stay inspired…
Please rate this tip!